DuraBack™ is a unique product designed and engineered as an alternative to traditional laminate backed veneer. This hardwood veneer product is very popular in some markets where solvent-based adhesive restrictions require woodworkers to use water-based glues.
While providing extreme durability, the downside of using laminate backed veneer is that this brittle product has a tendency to break or split easily. The DuraBack™ sheet’s beige backer blends nicely in most applications to maintain the natural beauty of the wood veneer.
We have created DuraBack™ veneer to be an extremely flexible product unlike standard laminate backers.
Features and Benefits
- Offers the stability of laminate, while providing superior flexibility
- Applies like laminate without unsightly black edges
- Water-resistant backing offers problemfree use of water-based adhesives while providing a moisture barrier
- Eliminates bubbling, blistering and telegraphing
- Accepts almost any glue
- Accepts pre-finishing prior to laminating
- Highly damage resistant, resists tears
- Easily post-formable around curves
- Dimensionally stable, resists shrinkage
- Ships easily by UPS
Information provided is based on 4’ x 8’ sheet
- Thickness: .038-.048 plus or minus .005
- Size Availability: 2' x 8', 4' x 8', 4' x 10', 8' x 4', 10' x 4'
- Machine Surface Sand: 150 grit
- Packaging Standard: 1-5 pcs / 8-10 pcs
- Typical Box Size:11-3/8" x 11-3/8" x 50" / 13-5/8" x 13-5/8" x 50"
- Weight/4X8 Sheet: 6.9 lbs
- (Bending Radius) Flexibility: 4-6"
- Standard Size: 4’ x 8’
- Maximum Size: 5’ x 12’
- Recommended Glue: Water-based contact (flexible glue line), Solvent-based contact (flexible glue line), Urea formaldehyde
- Best to store in a climate controlled environment (Heated in winter/Air-conditioned in summer)
- Relative humidity of 35% is best
- Avoid exposure to sunlight
Color and Grain Appearance
- Variation can be expected from sheet to sheet and lot to lot
- Sequence matching available upon request
General Application Information
- Inspect material for satisfaction of quality and grade prior to lamination
- All veneer should be acclimated prior to application
- Ideal temperature for application is 70-80° F
- Ideal humidity is 35%
- Surface must be clean, dry and smooth (free of dust, grease, wax) to ensure a good bond
- Use of solvent-based adhesives is recommended. Water-based adhesives are acceptable
- Veneer scrapers are recommended for hand application to allow for maximum pressure. "J" rollers are not recommended
- Adhesive should be allowed to cure for 48 hours prior to finishing
Stocked for Next Day Local Delivery:
|P/S Hard Maple||P/S Red Oak||P/S Cherry||P/S Hickory|
Nearly all other species can be drop shipped by UPS to you within 3 days.
“Formwood” and all other marks where denoted are trademarks of Formwood Industries.